Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Dill Pickle Faux- Fried Chicken

I was looking online at the menu of a new restaurant near us, Wise Acre, and noticed one of their entrées was Dill Pickled Fried Chicken. Oh, did I ever want to try that but, between vacation and Matt's business trips we haven't had a chance to go yet. What is a girl to do other than try to make her own version at home?
Dill Pickle Faux-Fried Chicken
My idea was to use the same sort brine I would to make deli dill pickles to give the chicken the dill pickle flavor. Then instead of deep frying (something I don't really like to do at home), I'd do a faux-fry in the oven since I'd had success with it in the past. I had no idea whether Matt and I would like this or not but, we like dill pickle potato chips so, I thought why not.
Dill Pickle Faux-Fried Chicken
Total success! The chicken had a good dill and spice flavor just like a good pickle. The crust came out brown and crispy plus, it's a little better for you without the skin or deep frying. The only thing I would do different next time is add a little dried dill to the brine to boost the dill flavor even more. Matt thought the chicken with the brine was good enough that it didn't even need the crust. He thinks we should use this brine on some boneless chicken, grill it and then serve it on a sandwich. Sounds good to me too!

Dill Pickle Faux-Fried Chicken

4 bone-in skinless chicken thighs

Dill Pickle Brine
(You could use the brine from a jar of your favorite pickles instead of making this brine if you have some on hand.)

1 c water
2 T white vinegar
2 T kosher salt
1 bunch fresh dill fronds (about 1/3 c)
1 clove garlic, chopped or crushed
1 small bay leaf, crumbled

1 t pickling spice, crushed a little
OR
1/8 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t red pepper flakes
1/8 t ground cardamom
1/8 t ground all spice
1/8 t ground cloves
1/8 t ground mustard
1/8 t ground ginger

Put the water, vinegar and salt in a bowl or baggie big enough to hold your chicken. Stir or shake until the salt is dissolved. Stir in all the remaining ingredients. Add your chicken and let brine 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Rinse and dry the chicken thighs.

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Breading

6 T fine bread crumbs
2 T grated parmesan
1/4 t dried thyme
1 egg

In a shallow bowl mix the bread crumbs, parmesan and thyme together.

Put the egg in another shallow bowl and beat it.

Dip the chicken thighs into the egg and then into the breading coating all sides. Place bone-side down on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with a little cooking spray. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until done, turning the thighs over at about 30 minutes.

Makes 4 thighs

If you are not reading this post in a feed reader or at http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com OR at http://agoodappetite.com then the site you are reading is illegally publishing copyrighted material. Contact me at katbaro AT yahoo DOT COM. All recipes, text and photographs in this post are the original creations & property of the author unless otherwise noted. © 2007-2011 Kathy Lewinski

7 comments:

Amy @ A Little Nosh said...

That sounds really interesting!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

vanillasugarblog said...

do i ever love this idea. speaking of pickles have you ever tried Grillos pickles? the best ever. and i love a good pickle.

Manisha said...

I've tried your faux fried chicken recipe several times and I love it. I can't wait to try this!

grace said...

i wonder if this dish at wise acre (great name, by the way) would compare to yours? i have my doubts, because you seem to have aced it!

kat said...

Grace - Wise Acre actually fries theirs which I'm sure makes it pretty awesome.

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds so unusual! I can't wait until you get to try the original and see if it is anything like yours (when I saw the name I thought it might be stuffed with pickles, which wasn't so appealing to me).

Lori said...

This is brilliant! We love fried pickles so this is a must-try!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota