Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peach Melba Cupcakes

Peaches are in season & we got raspberries in our last CSA delivery so Matt suggested I make a cupcake showcasing those flavors.
Peach Melba Cupcake
I've had trouble getting a good flavored peach cupcake in the past so I searched the web to see what others had done. 52 Cupcakes used a recipe from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes that sounded like it would be perfect so I used that. The only changes I made were to size it down & to use Peach Schnapps instead of vanilla.
crazed peach
(Doesn't the peach on here look like its had one too many?)

The cupcakes come out pretty interesting. They are very moist & have a lot of peach flavor thanks to the peach pieces in it. The peaches tended to sink to the bottom & made the cupcakes fall apart a bit when you are eating them. 52 Cupcakes said they are better the next day when the juices have really sunk in (we ate some this evening & they were better after sitting).

The frosting is just a basic buttercream flavored & colored with raspberry coulis. The raspberry flavor is nice in this & the fresh raspberry on top really adds to the flavor as well.

Peach Melba Cupcake

Peach Cupcake
(adapted from 125 Best Cupcake Recipes)

1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/8 t grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
7 T white sugar
2 1/2 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 egg
1/2 t peach schnapps
1/4 c milk
2/3 of a peach, peeled, pitted, thinly sliced & cut into small chunks (save the rest of the peach to put on top of the cupcakes)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare 6 muffin tins.

Mix together the flour, baking powder, nutmeg & salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl beat the sugar & butter together. Add the egg & beat until light & fluffy. Add the peach schnapps & blend. Alternately beat in the flour mixture & the milk, making 3 additions of flour & 2 of the milk. Fold in the chunks of peach.

Split the batter evenly between the tins. Bake for 35 - 28 minutes. The cupcakes will be very golden brown & the top should spring back when touched. Allow to cool on a rack completely before frosting.

Makes 6 cupcakes

Raspberry Buttercream

heaping 1/4 c of raspberries, about 6 T
2 1/2 T unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 t vanilla

Put the raspberries into a fine sieve & push them through over a bowl. Leave seeds in the sieve. Scrap the bottom of the sieve to get any juice & pulp from it.

In a small bowl cream the butter & salt until smooth. Alternately blend in the sugar & raspberry juices, beat until well combined. Beat in vanilla.

Makes enough to frost 6 cupcakes

Decorate with a slice of fresh peach & a raspberry.

14 comments:

Deborah said...

I love all of the cupcake flavors you always come up with! These are gorgeous, and I'm not sure I would have been able to wait until the next day to see if they were better!

Unknown said...

Looks great, I really love the picture.

Maria said...

Peaches are so good right now, I bet they are even better in your cupcakes! They look awesome!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Peach schnapps in a muffin - wow!!. Peach schnapps (Archers in particular) bring back memories of my teenage years!! It was MY drink until I discovered wine!!

Anonymous said...

These are two of my favorite flavors, and it looks like this turned out great!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, these cupcakes are beauties!

grace said...

i really think melba is an awesome name and i'm considering it for my first daughter. do you think she'd resent me for it? ;)
meanwhile, awesome cupcakes, and the peach on that bottled is definitely soused. :)

Peter M said...

I would dissects this cupcake and eat it part by part, enjoying each component, yes i would!

Anonymous said...

What a great use of the raspberries and peaches! They look and sound so delicious.

Sharon said...

Beth & I must have partied together in our past lives. Schnapps always reminds me of underage drinking as well :) These cupcakes are much more sophisticated than those days. Looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Aw... so cute, ,beautiful colours :)

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Next time, if you coat your peaches in flour or a flour/cornstarch mixture, they might not sink to the bottom as bad. But if you enjoyed it, then nevermind!

I remember those other peach cupcakes. I'm glad these turned out. They look cute.

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kat,
I know it's a little late but I just did a search in my search engine for Peach Melba and your link "popped up!"

I was just wondering if you would mind if I included a link to this post on a post I am doing for National Peach Melba Day, January 13 (yes tomorrow:) That cupcake is absolutely gorgeous and sounds delectable. I would LOVE to include the image as well with a link back to your post. I'm sorry it's so late. If you don't get back to me, I will use the link but will not use the pic without your permission. Louise acalenda [at] gmail [dot] com

Thank you so much for posting this delicious sounding recipe...

~~louise~~ said...

Thank you so much Kathy. It's posted.

Happy Peach Melba Day!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota