Sunday, January 13, 2008

Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

This is another classic Minnesota dish. For awhile I've been searching for the perfect recipe for it. I've made it from cookbooks & from the recipes that come with the rice but none ever had the flavor I was looking for. I've been working on my own version & I think I've finally created the soup I wanted.

Its important when making this soup to use real wild rice. Don't use those wild rice mixes or such as the rice won't have as good a flavor or texture.
Creamy chicken wild rice soup

1/2 c wild rice
2 T butter
3/4 c onion, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1 med. carrot, minced
3 T flour
pepper
3 c chicken broth
1 c cream or milk
1 1/2 - 2 c cooked chicken, chopped
1 T fresh thyme

In a med saucepan bring 2 c of water to a boil. Add wild rice. Reduce heat to simmer & cover. Let rice simmer for 40-50 minutes until tender. Drain remaining water. Set aside.
Melt the butter over med high heat in a soup pot. Add the onions, celery and carrots. Let cooking, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent about 5 minutes. Add the flour & a few grinds of fresh pepper, stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth & cream. Cook while stirring until bubbly, then stir for another minute. Add in chicken, thyme & wild rice. Serve with a good crusty bread.

Makes 4 servings
Creamy chicken wild rice soup
I had hoped to serve this with homemade sourdough bread but my starter failed...a post on bread making tomorrow.

10 comments:

Z said...

This turned out very nicely for me! Thank you for sharing the recipe. BTW, I used my pressure cooker for it and in case you're curious, here are the times for the individual components (separately because I was testing to make sure everything got cooked properly as it was my first time doing the rice in the pressure cooker):

Whole breast chicken: 10 minutes
Canadian wild rice: 25 minutes (all split and many curled up so maybe it was too long? Should try a shorter interval next time)
Diced carrots: 2 minutes.

Since I'm here, I'll ask: Any tips on recreating the Hell's Kitchen (Minneapolis) wild rice porridge?

Greetings from Switzerland!
basedinvilligen.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Delicious soup! I was looking for a recipe without "cream-of-whatever" cans (which are hard to come by in Germany) and tried yours - it turned out great. Thanx so much!

O said...

I have been jonesing for soup recently and this recipe caught my eye. I made it last night with a chicken style seitan that I made. It turned out great! Served it with some crusty bread from A Toast To Bread and it was a great fall meal!

AmyRobynne said...

Just made this tonight and it was fabulous! I needed a way to cook up my last cup or two of chicken and this really hit the spot. I even had cream and everything on hand. Definitely adding this to my repertoire of ways to use whole, cooked chickens.

Anonymous said...

I just made this tonight and it was wondeful! I am not a good soup maker (don't ask) but this was perfect! Thank you!!! I WILL make this again and again!

michaela said...

I've been searching the internet for a recipe like this one. This is similar to my mother's preparation. I'll be trying it tonight.

Chad D from mn said...

I have been making this soup for a few years i add a little white wine when you are cooking the onions and carrots also i stir in the heavy cream at the very end and heat just to warm it up and serve (Just make sure you cook your roux (flour and butter so you dont taste it)

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. My wife and I are from Minnesota but living in Ohio for work.

Was in the mood for good cream of chicken and wild rice soup (hard to come by in Columbus, OH) and I found yours. It looks great!

Double bonus is that this is a recommended and developed by a Minnesotan, so it has to be good and something we can trust!

SMITH BITES said...

will be making this today for sure - wet & rainy out and this soup is perfect!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I grew up in Minnesota (we live out of state due to work). I've been looking for Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipes, but none of those I found used all fresh (non-processed) ingredients - until yours!

Thank you so much for posting this! I am going to make it for dinner tomorrow night as we've been craving a taste of home. I have a feeling I will be visiting your site often for more MN favorites.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Get Email Updates!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Measurement Abbreviations

T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
c = cup
lb = pound
oz - ounce

Labels

Blog Archive

Contributors

Blog Directory for Minneapolis, Minnesota